Buzsák, this village famous of its folk arts and folk traditions, can be found 15 km from the Balaton to the South. Its colourful culture was created by the Dalmatian, Illyrian and Croatian population moving here in the 15-16th centuries, and a result of their cohabitation, such a special culture was created which does not exist anywhere else in the world. The name Buzsák was first mentioned in writing in the 15th century. Its gradual development is proven by the fact that it had its own school and Roman Catholic church as early as in the 18th century.
The rammed earth house, situated in the village centre and serving as a traditional house today, was not the only one of this kind in the village when it was bought and reconstructed into a traditional house in 1977, however, today it is the only representative of this type, which once was the characteristic house type of this land. In addition to embroidered textiles, the folk art exhibition in the traditional house also features the artworks of the wood carvers working in Buzsák. Visiting this traditional house can be a good program even in itself; if you can, visit Buzsák when there are also programs organized in the traditional house. Then, in the courtyard of the rammed earth house you can find spectacular folk dance shows and you can see how the famous folk art of Buzsák is maintained today.
Roman Catholic church
The Nagyboldogasszony (Assumption of Mary) Roman Catholic Church in Buzsák is famous in whole Europe of its vestments and altar-cloths made with Buzsák embroidery. The construction of the church started in 1748 and the building was consecrated to the honor of Mary on 28 September 1791. Its predecessor was a church made of wood, which burnt down in a fire, and only an altar picture, made by Italian masters, remained. This picture can be seen in the church even today. The church was equipped with a heating system in 2010 with the help of a LEADER-subsidy.
The eldest monument in the village is the white chapel built in the Roman age, having one nave and a hemispherical shrine, which was the church of the parish in a one-time Medieval settlement called Akts. Its renaissance wooden altar, made in 1704 and decorated with carved grapevine patterns, can now be seen in the Roman Catholic Church.
In Buzsák there are three kinds of embroideries in use: the ’veza’, the ’wizard’ and the ’applied’ or so-called Viennese embroidery. The original veza embroidery is made on textile, the motives are drawn with graphite pencil and are then filled with red and black, or red and blue wool. The wizard embroidery originates from the old noble embroidery. The pre-drawn patterns are sewed around with chain stitches, and then the pattern is filled with the so-called “wizard” stitches. The ’applied’ or as it is called here, “Viennese” embroidery is one of the most known types of embroidery in Buzsák. The most beautiful pieces of all three kinds can be seen at the constant
Csisztafürdo, situated 5 km away from Buzsák, is – due to its sulphuric healing hydrocarbonate warm water, which is 42 °C warm and is rich in minerals – visited each year by several ten thousands of guests wishing to heal and relax. Recently, the Directory of the Medicinal Bath has declared the thermal water at Csiszta medicinal water. At the resort and also in the village houses are available for guests for renting, even for longer periods.