Lengyeltóti lies 12 km away from the coast of the Balaton, in the “Csalogányok völgye” (“Valley of Nightingales”), surrounded with downhills. Its name, in the form of Villa-Tout was first mentioned in 1116 in the founding letter of the monastery in Almádi. Later on, it was mentioned as Thoty or Thothy. During the whole Middle-ages it was owned by the Lengyel family. Its church was built in the second half of the 12th century. The census at the beginning of the 18th century found only 20 households in the village. Between 1871 and 1950 it was the seat of the district. As of 1977 it was declared a ’large village’ and formed a joint council with seven villages until the change of regime when villages got back their independence. Lengyeltóti has been a town since 1992, and it is the centre of the Pogányvögy micro-region, the smallest micro-region in Somogy county. As of 1 January 2013 it is the fourth small town in the Fonyód District.
In addition to the agricultural plough lands, there have been significant industrial vinicultures and orchards here. (In 1985 Badacsonytomaj was the only place that had a larger area of vineyards than that can be found here.) Following the privatisation in ’90s, part of the ex-industrial facility become the property of employees. Today, the most famous plantation is the walnut yard of 300 ha area, which is the property of Juglans Hungária Kft. Their Milotai 10 type was awarded golden medal in Rostock in 2003.
St. James church
The monument building of the church, which was built in the 12th century and has been extended several times since then, is unique with its three hemispherical shrines and chambers inside. The rock cross, standing at the end of the beautiful crossroad leading here, is also several hundred years old.
On the border of the small town, on the coast of the Saint John-trench stands the statue of Saint John of Nepomuk, the erection of which was, according to the minutes of the visitation taking place in 1778, ordered by Gáspár Lengyel. The rock crosses that can be found here also represent a significant historic value. Walking on the old civic streets of the town, it is worth stopping in front of the town hall (housing the district court earlier) and give a look to the Zichy-park. The castle of Pusztaberény, which was built in classicistic style and supplemented with a wing in romantic style later, was the premises of the former Nagyberek State Farm with stables, barns, croft and park. The total area of the forest spots at the outskirts of Lengyeltóti is 265 ha. Turkey oaks, oaks – in the valleys ash trees and alders, in newer plantations groves of acacia and poplar. The building of the former casino, later cinema now houses a Collection of Local History. The Valley of Nightingales is a land rich in wild animals and singing birds.