The Avar cemetery excavated in the village and the Pusztatorony (Barren-tower) – the ruins of a 12th century church standing in the Ihász-dülő (Ihász-passage) – are the evidence of early colonization. The village was completely destroyed during the occupation, its name was forgotten. Remetepuszta (Hermit-barren) was present in the site as early as before the Tartar invasion, as the estate of the abbey and then the king. The former village of Vámos was earlier situated around the church ruins. The history of the village in the 20th century is characterized by the two world wars, the subsequent land reforms, and then the unfolding of the cooperative movement. The picture of the village is getting more and more organized, the future inhabitants, and also tourists of course, are awaited by clean streets and mostly dust-controlled roads. Krishna valley also attracts more and more visitors to the village with its extraordinarily fast development, and its features which are unique in Europe. The 30,000 tourists visiting the Valley on annual level mean a lot for the village, too.
One of the most significant Medieval church ruins in Somogy county. A good destination for those who wish to be amazed by its noble simplicity. According to the archaeological excavations and historic researches the church, having a one-nave, hemispherical shrine, might have been built originally in Roman style in the 12th century.
The settlement, called Csopak in the Middle Ages, belonged to the abbey of Pannonhalma. Its present Roman-styled church was started to be built in 1933. The person ordering the building was the great church-builder parish priest of the then Veszprém Diocese, father Imre Longauer, who also ordered the building of the Saint Margaret church in Kaposvár, the Jesus’ Heart church in Nagykanizsa, as well as the churches in Csurgó, Ajka and Hács. The church of Somogyvámos was benedicted by abbot dr. József Hoss on 5 November 1933.
If you would like to put down the burdens of everyday life at least for a while, stop in the rush, and relax, then your place is here. Krishna valley is a peaceful island on the sea of rushing days, to only thirty kilometres from the Balaton in the direction of Kaposvár. The area lying on two hundred and sixty hectares – which is also a cultural centre and an organic farm – has spectacular things and new experiences to offer to the visitors. Lakes, groves and arboretums give home to several hundreds of plant and animal species. Their cattle-yard, organic horticulture and the school building can also be visited; these locations await visitors with many interesting spectacles. Guests coming here can see these specialties during a nice walk from the reception building to the church. Today, nearly a hundred and fifty Krishna monks are living in the Valley, who engage in eco farming, a Vedic way of life – based on the ancient holy books, the Vedas – and many other useful and interesting things, while striving to produce everything themselves.